Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Art Fair Weekend 2010

My fear of being blinded from too many patent leather Christian Louboutins as well as lack of trusting myself not to pick a fight with some trophy wife/art snob/dickish gallery owner told me not to seek out the festivals this year. However, I still went to the Armory, and the Independent. There were some highlights I suppose.

The Armory was surprisingly the best that I can recall. Of course it is always overwhelming, with endless amounts of galleries, artworks, flourescent lights, and glitterati that seem to have confused the Piers with a runway. The work was good, and several galleries had gave strongly curated showings. Possibly my favorite, was Elizabeth Dee Gallery. A panel talk given on the future of Biennials was also worth the haul out to no-womans-land.

After feeling like I spent enough time in the rabbit-hole that is/was the Armory, I left to catch a bus down to Chelsea, to go to the Independent, a fair supposedly intended to critique art fairs.

The Independent
Funny that this show should open with a completely banal exhibition of contemporary art. It's only edge was that the gallery had presented a number of art-work pairings. I am not sure if it was a conscious decision or not, but the gallery was in no way different from every blue-chip allotment in the Armory show. Gah... it is what it is... I am going to come back to this...
(First two picks are from the Independent)









The above painting speaks volumes about what I think about the Armory.


Why? A similar painting read "The Beuys are Back in Town"... Give me cancer now, god.

No comments:

Post a Comment